Creamy Mac And Cheese CarbonaraFrom gourmetana 2 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 4 strips of uncooked smoked bacon, cut into small dice shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 6 – 7 cups whole milk, heated shopping list
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly whisked shopping list
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 cups freshly grated asiago cheese, plus more for the top shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups white Cheddar, plus more for the top shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups sharp orange Cheddar, plus more for the top shopping list
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, plus more for the top shopping list
- ½ cup freshly grated parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for the top shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 pound your favourite pasta, cooked just under al dente shopping list
- ½ cup coarsely chopped Italian parley shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (about 177 degrees C). Grease the bottom and sides of a 3-quart baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook until lightly golden brown. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Next, whisk in 6 cups of the hot milk, increase the heat to high, and cook, whisking constantly until thickened, for 3-5 minutes. Whisk in the light beaten egg yolks until incorporated and let cook for 1- 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in the chopped chives, cayenne, and all of the cheese until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper. If the mixture appears too thick, add some of the remaining milk ¼ cup at a time.
- Mix in the cooked pasta, reserved bacon and chopped parsley, and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Combine together additional Asiago, Cheddars, Mozzarella, and Parmigiano cheeses in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over the top of the macaroni. Bake in the oven until heated through and the top is lightly golden brown (about 12-15 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.