Whole Wheat CroissantsFrom jo_jo_ba 8 months ago
- 70 g salted cultured butter, cool but not fridge-cold shopping list
- 20 g shortening, cool but not fridge-cold shopping list
- ½ cup flour shopping list
- ½ cup whole wheat bread flour shopping list
- pinch sea salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp instant yeast shopping list
- ⅓ cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tbsp canola oil shopping list
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water shopping list
How to make it
- Beat butter and shortening into a paste.
- Scrape onto a sheet of plastic wrap and shape into a rough square. Refrigerate.
- In a bowl, mix the “dough” ingredients together to form a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, then place in a zip-top bag or a greased bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, remove the butter mixture and the dough from the fridge and let stand 30-45 minutes at room temperature.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll it into a large square.
- Set the block of butter diagonally on the square dough.
- Bring each corner of the dough square over the butter square, allowing the edges of the dough to overlap.
- Starting from the center of the square, roll the dough out into a rectangle.
*NB: If at any time the butter gets too soft and starts to ooze out the corners, wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes before proceeding.
- Letter-fold the dough (into thirds).
- Reposition the dough so that the open ends are at 12 and 6 o'clock.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle, working from the center of the dough.
- Fold both open ends of the dough into the middle, then fold the already-folded dough in half (book-fold).
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Roll the dough into a rectangle again and repeat both folds as above.
- Place in a zip-top bag or wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
Final Shaping & Baking
- The next day, roll the dough into a ¼” thick rectangle.
- Trim the edges of the dough and cut 6 triangles across the long edge of the dough.
- Starting at the base of each triangle, roll dough up into a log.
- If desired, bend in the corners to form the traditional crescent shape (or leave straight, either is delicious).
- Place on a parchment-lined sheet and let rise 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and water and brush pastry with egg wash.
- Bake 14-16 minutes, until golden and light.