Cheesy Corn CasseroleFrom champagnetime 10 months ago
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped shopping list
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter, cubed shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- ½ cup flour shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed shopping list
- 2 oz Velveeta, cubed shopping list
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1 tsp paprika shopping list
- 3 lb fresh or frozen corn kernels shopping list
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375°. Heat bacon in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add butter and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, and bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, Velveeta, cheddar, and paprika, and cook until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in corn; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a 9″ × 13″ baking dish and bake until top is golden brown and bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let cool before serving.
- Yield: SERVES 12
- Tip: 3 large ears of corn will yield about one pound of kernels, so use 9 ears
- Source: This baked corn casserole is a popular side dish at Smokestack restaurant in Kansas City. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue.