The Frog Commissary Carrot CakeFrom recipediva 6 years ago
- 1-1/4 cups corn oil shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 2 tsp. cinnamon shopping list
- 2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 4 cups grated carrots shopping list
- 1 cup chopped pecans shopping list
- 1 cup raisins shopping list
- pecan Cream Filling: shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans shopping list
- 2 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- Cream Cheese Frosting: shopping list
- 8 oz. soft unsalted butter shopping list
- 8 oz. soft cream cheese shopping list
- 1 box (1 lb.) powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- Assembly: shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut shopping list
How to make it
- Pecan cream Filling:
- In a heavy saucepan, blend well the flour, sugar and salt.
- Gradually stir in the cream. Add the butter.
- Cook and stir the mixture over a low heat until the butter has melted, then let simmer for 20-30 minutes until golden brown in color, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in the nuts and vanilla.
- Let cool and refrigerate, preferably overnight. If too thick to spread, bring to room temperature before using.
- Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Have ready a greased and floured 10" tube cake pan.
- In a large bowl, wisk together the corn oil and sugar.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift half the dry ingredients into the sugar-oil mixture and blend.
- Alternately, sift in the rest of the dry ingredients while adding the eggs, one by one.
- Combine well.
- Add the carrots, raisins, and pecans.
- Pour into the prepared tube pan and bake for 70 minutes.
- Cool upright on a cooling rack.
- If you are not using the cake that day it can be removed from the pan, wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature.
- Cheese Cream Filling:
- Cream the butter well.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until blended.
- Sift in the sugar and add the vanilla.
- If it is too soft to spread, chill a bit.
- Chill if not using immediately, but bring to room temperature before spreading.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until it colors lightly.
- Toss the coconut occasionally while it is baking so that it browns evenly.
- Cool completely.
- Have the filling and the frosting at a spread able consistency. Loosen the cake in it's pan and invert onto a serving plate.
- With a long serving knife, carefully split the cake into three horizontal layers.
- Spread the filling between the layers. Spread the frosting over the top and sides.
- Pat the coconut onto the sides of the cake.
The Cookrecipediva Philly, PA
The Rating2 people
So rich and creamy...my whole family begs for this cake yearly. I am finally sharing the receipe with them :)andygramm in loved it
I use to work @ the Commisary on Sansom St. in Philly starting in '83!! I recently misplaced my Frog Commisary Cookbook & cannot tell you how delighted I was to find this recipe on your site!! Thank you-thank you!!! This is w/out a doubt THE BES...morePixieG in loved it