Empanada Pastry DoughFrom primalux 7 years ago
How to make it
- To Prep:
- Combine flour, lard/butter/shortening, chilled butter, and salt.
- Mix lightly with your fingers until it starts forming small, pea-sized pieces.
- Stir in the ice water, a little at a time, until it forms a dough. (A fork works well for this)
- Knead lightly until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 - 12 hours.
- To Assemble Empanadas:
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it's about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out 12 rounds about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.
- Place about 2 tbsp filling in one half of each round, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the edge.
- Dampen the edges with some water or the beaten egg, fold over to make a half moon, and seal the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Arrange empanadas on a baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg for a glaze.
- If you're making savory empanadas, sprinkle tops with black pepper. For sweet fillings, sprinkling the tops with sugar works well.
- Cut two slits in the tops so steam can escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Serve while hot or cool on a wire rack and serve room temperature.
People Who Like This Dish 18
The Cookprimalux San Francisco, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!