La Nacho Potato SkinsFrom dariana 8 years ago
- 6 medium potatoes, such as russet (2 pounds) shopping list
- cooking oil, shortening, butter, or margarine shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt shopping list
- ground red pepper shopping list
- 4 ounces co-jack cheese, cheddar cheese, or monterey jack cheese with peppers, shredded (1 cup) shopping list
- Toppers, such as dairy sour cream, salsa, guacamole, chopped tomato, chopped sweet pepper, sliced green onion, sliced pitted ripe olives, or snipped fresh cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 425 degree F. Thoroughly scrub potatoes; pat dry. Rub with cooking oil, shortening, butter, or margarine; prick potatoes with a fork. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or till tender. (Or, microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes or till tender.) Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters. Scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. Reserve the pulp for mashed potatoes or another use.
- Brush both sides of the potato pieces with the 1/4 cup butter or margarine. Sprinkle the insides with seasoned salt and ground red pepper. Place potato pieces, skin sides up, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn potato pieces skin sides down. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Broil 2 minutes more. Arrange the potato pieces on a heated serving platter. Serve with desired toppers. Makes 24 servings.
- To Make Ahead: Bake, scoop, and season the potatoes. Place in a covered container and refrigerate up to 2 days.