Cantaloupe Honeydew and Sweet Onion Gazpacho with Crispy ProsciuttoFrom dond 9 years ago
- ¼ pound thinly sliced proscuitto (or Serrano ham -- see below) shopping list
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice shopping list
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice shopping list
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeños shopping list
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro shopping list
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup roughly chopped cantaloupe, plus ¾ cup finely diced cantaloupe shopping list
- 1 cup roughly chopped honeydew melon, plus ¾ cup finely diced honeydew melon shopping list
- 1 cup roughly chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia, plus 1 cup finely diced sweet onion shopping list
- ½ cup roughly chopped celery, plus ¼ cup finely diced celery shopping list
- ½ cup roughly chopped red bell pepper, plus ¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper shopping list
- 1 cup roughly chopped, seeded, peeled cucumber, plus ¾ cup finely diced, seeded, peeled cucumber shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake the prosciutto until crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. [Note: You can also use Serrano ham – drop small slices of the ham into hot oil and deep fry for about a minute just until the ham begins to look like bacon.]
- Combine the roughly chopped ingredients (cantaloupe, honeydew, sweet onion, celery, red bell pepper, and cucumber), lemon juice, lime juice, and bread in blender. Purée on high until smooth.
- Combine the finely chopped ingredients, jalapenos, garlic, chives, parsley, mint, cilantro, and olive oil in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Fold the puréed ingredients into the chopped ingredients.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Let rest at least 1 hour, covered and refrigerated, for the flavors to blend.
- Serve chilled, garnished with crumbled crispy prosciutto.