Shrimp And GritsFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 1 cup (½ pound) peeled shrimp shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste shopping list
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about ¼ cup) shopping list
- about ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- Creamy grits shopping list
- ¾ to 1 cup hot water or stock (shrimp, chicken, or vegetable) shopping list
- Make shrimp stock by boiling shells for 7 -10 minutes shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with the lemon juice, salt, and cayenne and set aside.
- Heat the bacon grease in a skillet and sauté the onion and pepper over medium heat until the onion begins to become transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir constantly for about 2 minutes, until the flour begins to brown.
- Add the shrimp and about 3/4 cup water or stock, stirring constantly and turning the shrimp so that they cook evenly.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the gravy is uniformly smooth, thinning with a little extra water or stock if necessary.
- Serve immediately over grits.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating4 people
This is a great recipe!!! I would like to know if this recipe is
a 'cousin' to the famous 'Gullah Shrimp and Creamy Grits'
recipe frpm South Carolina?...I just love the shrimp and creamy grits'combo'....Thanks for sharing!<...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it