Sauted Calfs Liver With Onions Balsamic Vinegar And PancettaFrom dond 7 years ago
- ½ cup olive oil shopping list
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- ¼ pound thinly sliced pancetta shopping list
- 1 cup red wine vinegar shopping list
- ½ cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 12 baby turnips with tops, halved shopping list
- 1 pound calf’s liver, cut into ¼-inch thick slices shopping list
- 2 cups flour, seasoned with salt and pepper shopping list
- ½ cup dry white wine shopping list
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar shopping list
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a large skillet, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook slowly until caramelized. Remove to a bowl. (Caramelizing onions can be tedious, but keep at it until the onions are really caramelized and sweet)
- Place the pancetta on a baking sheet or Silpat and cook in the oven until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, and wine in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the turnips and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the turnips and drain.
- In a clean skillet, heat the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Dredge the liver in the seasoned flour, and add half of the slices to the skillet. Cook the liver, undisturbed, over moderately high heat until dark brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the liver.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and caramelized onions to the skillet and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Return the liver to the skillet and cook for a minute, then add the parsley.
- Transfer the liver and sauce to a platter, top with the pancetta and turnip halves and serve.