Tandoori Cornish HensFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 1 cornish hen shopping list
- * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder shopping list
- * pinch of salt (optional) shopping list
- * pinch of freshly ground black pepper (optional) shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice shopping list
- * 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt shopping list
- * 1 clove garlic, chopped shopping list
- * 1/3 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped shopping list
- * 1/3 small onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- * 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- * 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric shopping list
- * lime, cut into wedges (optional) shopping list
- * fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Thaw the hen if frozen.
- Rinse, remove the giblets and neck, and pat dry.
- Make several slits in the skin, then split the hen in half along the breastbone.
- Mix together 1/3 teaspoon of the chili powder, salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Rub the mixture all over the poultry and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the yogurt, garlic, ginger, onion, cumin, turmeric, and the remaining chili powder.
- Place the poultry pieces in a bowl and add the yogurt mixture.
- Mix well to coat all the pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the hen, skin side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Spoon the yogurt mixture over it from time to time until thoroughly cooked, 45 to 60 minutes or until the hen is very tender.
- Test for doneness by pricking the skin of the thigh; the juice should run clear. Serve hot.
- garnish with lime and cilantro or parsley