Betsys Red Wine Beef StewFrom chef_betsy 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes shopping list
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence shopping list
- 1 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- 3 teaspoons salt (divided) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, pushed through a press shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 cups red wine (merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon) shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 beef bouillon cube shopping list
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth shopping list
- 1/2 lb green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 2 turnips, peeled & cut into 1/2 to 3/4 pieces shopping list
- 3 celery ribs, cut into chunks shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks shopping list
- 1-2 carrot, peeled & cut into round chunks, then cut chunks in half shopping list
How to make it
- Toss beef with herbs, paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and the ground black pepper. Heat the oil in bottom of heavy stew pot over medium-high heat. Brown the beef; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot. Add chopped onion; cook 7 to 8 minutes until onions begin to brown. Add garlic during last 2 minutes of cooking time. Add reserved meat and accumulated juices, bay leaf, wine and water. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a strong simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, taste, (will taste very “winey” - will not taste this way in another hour) and if needed, add 1 teaspoon salt. Then add bullion cube. Stir and bring back to simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 more hour, until beef is tender. (liquid will reduce).
- Stir in vegetables and beef broth; simmer 15 – 30 minutes more.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookchef_betsy Felton, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!