Grandma Downs Veggie-beef SoupFrom softshellcrab 8 years ago
- 2 pounds beef bottom round, browned and drained shopping list
- 2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine shopping list
- 2 quarts water shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 packages mixed, frozen veggies shopping list
- 1 package okra, frozen, sliced (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced shopping list
- Fresh or dried thyme to taste shopping list
- 1 quart tomatoes, canned or fresh (chop in the Cuisinart) shopping list
- 2 large potatoes cubed shopping list
- 2 cups celery, thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Brown meat in oil in soup pot, drain. Add chopped onions and garlic, brown. Add water (more or less 2 quarts} Add Better Than Bouillon. Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer until very tender. Remove meat, cool and chop in medium pieces.
- Add tomatoes to broth and cook for another hour. Add frozen veggies, cabbage, potatoes, celery, okra, thyme, salt and freshly ground pepper. (You can actually put anything you want in this or omit things you don't care for. Maybe some white beans or small pasta. You may use basil....maybe half thyme and half basil) Simmer at least an hour, maybe more. Throw in the reserved beef and enjoy.
- This feeds quite a few and is better the next day. You may also cook browned meat, garlic and onion, water and Better Than Bouillon in a crockpot overnight. I think it is better that way and saves some preparation and cooking time.
- Serve with a crusty bread and salad.
The Cooksoftshellcrab Albuquerque, NM
- Not added to any groups yet!