Butternut Squash Gratin With Granny Smith AppleFrom cherihannah 9 years ago
- 1 butternut squash( about 1 1/2 lbs.) shopping list
- halved stem to blossom end , seeds removed, peeled shopping list
- 2-3 leeks, trimmed shopping list
- 1 large ( about 3/4 lb) granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, chopped coarse ( 2 cups) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp flour 2 Tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheese shopping list
- 3/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs shopping list
- 7 strips fully cooked bacon, diced shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using sharp knife, carefully cut squash in 1/4 in. slices
- Cut off and discard all but 1 in. from green tops of leeks
- Discard tough outer layers
- Slice leeks in half; rinse well under cold running water. slice crosswise in 1/4 in. slices
- Toss apple with flour.
- Melt butter in small saucepanon medium
- Add leeks and cook, without browning, about 5 min.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Arrange single layer of overlapping squash slices in buttered 9x 9 -inch pan
- Top with half the leeks and half the apples; Repeat.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Pour stock over vegetables in pan
- Cover with foil
- place pan on baking sheet; place in center of oven
- Bake 50 min- 1 hour, or until squash is tender
- Combine cheese, bread crumbs, and bacon in medium bowl; sprinkle over vegetables
- Return to oven
- Bake 10 to 15 min, until lightly browned.
The Cookcherihannah Shickshinny, PA
The Rating1 people
Thanks so much for posting the step by step directions on the squash. I have never made a butternut squash before but was feeling adventures. This is a great help.otterpond in Windermere loved it