Basic Lamb StockFrom oldgringo 8 years ago
- 8 pints water shopping list
- 5 lb lamb bones; with attached meat shopping list
- 3 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 6 whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, cut in pieces shopping list
- 1 carrot, cut in pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Put the olive oil in a large baking pan. Add bones with any attached meat. Toss to coat in the oil. Sprinkle on salt, thyme leaves, and garlic powder.
- Roast the lamb until the pieces are well browned, about 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and allow to set for about five minutes to loosen any pan drippings. If any remain, loosen them with a spatula; this is the rich lamb flavor that makes the stock.
- Transfer the lamb and liquid to a large stewing pot and add the rest of the water and the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Strain stock into pint or quart jars. Can, freeze, or refrigerate as you wish.
- Use any meat for other dishes.
The Cookoldgringo Cottonwood, AZ
The Rating2 people
Very nice my friend!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
A solid stock recipe. When I made this I found two errors. #1 - Ingredients says garlic cloves, prep says garlic powder. I went with cloves and browned them with the meat. #2 - recipe says it takes 120 minutes to make, but forgets the time it take...moreCheffinator in loved it