Curried Parsnip SoupFrom freyae 7 years ago
- 2 parsnips to the weight of 380g when topped and tailed shopping list
- 1 Large onion, peeled and roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- Peel of half a small lemon, reserve the juice for later shopping list
- 1/2 Tablespoon curry powder shopping list
- 10g butter shopping list
- 3 Rashers bacon (optional) shopping list
- 1 Litre Hot chicken or vegetable stock shopping list
- seasoning shopping list
How to make it
- If you are using bacon, cut into lardons and fry in a deep frying pan.
- Drain on some kitchen roll.
- Add the butter to the pan and gently fry off the chopped onions and garlic in the buttery, bacon flavoured oil.
- Add the lemon peel and cook for a 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for a minute, until the powder is absorbed into the oniony/lemony mixture.
- Now half and chop the parsnips into large dice. Add them to the pan and stir gently. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Stir, replace lid and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Pour over the stock, replace lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the parsnips are tender.
- Blend, then taste for lemon juice (which is essential as it brings out the flavour of the curry powder, no more than half a lemon should be necessary) and seasoning.
- Serve with some Creme Fraiche stirred through and top with the fried bacon and Parsnip Chips.
- To Make The Parsnip Chips:
- Peel the parsnip. You can now proceed two ways. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off strips of parsnip so you will have crisp, sweet ribbons or carefully cut into rings so they look like more traditional crips (potato chips). These will take longer to cook.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a saucepan until a sample parsnip chip sizzles but not frantically so, in the oil. They will take between 1 minute and 2 minutes to cook, depending on thickness.
- Drain on kitchen roll whereupon they will crisp up.
- I don't think that they require any salt as I love their sweetness but this is your personal choice.
The Cookfreyae Essex, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!