Meringue-Topped GingerbreadFrom dvisscher 9 years ago
- Gingerbread: shopping list
- 2 1/3 c flour shopping list
- 1/2 c shortening shopping list
- 1/3 c sugar shopping list
- 1 c fancy molasses shopping list
- 3/4 c hot water shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 2 tsp ground ginger shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 3/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- Meringue: shopping list
- 2 egg whites, room temperature shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed shopping list
How to make it
- For ginerbread, heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x9 inch square baking pan.
- Beat all gingerbread ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low for about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes more, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in brown sugar, a tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees.
- Spread meringue over hot gingerbread decoratively then bake about 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Serve warm from the oven.