Giant Ding Dong CakeFrom jules 7 years ago
- For cake: shopping list
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix shopping list
- 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- For filling: shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1 cup white sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- For frosting: shopping list
- 1 cup chocolate chips shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup shopping list
- 2 1/4 tablespoons water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three nine-inch round cake pans or spray with Pam.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, oil and water. Mix with mixer until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cakes completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- To make the filling, whisk together the flour and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once the flour and milk mixture has cooled, beat the 1/2 cup shortening, butter, sugar and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the milk mixture and continue to beat for 4 more minutes. Spread evenly between cake layers, except for top of cake.
- Combine the chocolate chips, 1/4 cup shortening, corn syrup and water in the top of a double boiler. Heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Pour warm glaze over the top of the cake and smooth over the sides. Refrigerate until serving.
The Cookjules Broken Arrow, OK
The Rating4 people
This sounds delicious!!!! YUM YUMshortee1980 in Broken Arrow loved it
Jules, I used to make these into cupcakes for my kids' school bake sales - they were always gone before I could turn around twice! Great recipe!!krumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
That is Yummy I made it last night and our Family truly loved it... :) Thanksheatherbowling in Lebanon loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!