Upside Down Chocolate PieFrom mellian 6 years ago
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tbsp unsweetned cocoa powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/3 c shortning (cold) shopping list
- 1/3 c butter (cold) shopping list
- 6 to 7 tbsp ice water shopping list
- 2/3 c semisweet chocolate pieces shopping list
- 3/4 c sugar shopping list
- 1/4 c cornstarch shopping list
- 3 c milk shopping list
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolated, chopped shopping list
- 5 egg yolks, beaten shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 tsps vanilla shopping list
- sweetened whipped cream shopping list
- Grated chocolate shopping list
How to make it
- 1. For crust: in a large bowl, stir together the four, cocoa ppowder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and the 1/3 c butter until pieces are pea-sized. Sprinkel 1 tablespoon of the ice water over the mixture, gently tossing with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tbsp ice water at a time until all of the flour mixture is moistened.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450 deg. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. Cover and refrigerate one ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten remaining dough ball. Roll from center to edge inot a 12" circle. Transfer to a 9" pie plate, ,being careful not to stretch the pastry. Gently press into pie plate. Trim edge. Line with a double thickness of foil.
- 3. Bake pastry in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. back about 5 minutes more or until firm and dry. Sprinkle with the semisweet chocolate pieces. Cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 deg.
- 4. For filling: in a 2 quart saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk and unsweetened chocolate. Cook and stir over medium hear until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stire for 2 minutes more.
- 5. Slowly stir 1 cup of the hot chocolate mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return the entire egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Bring just to boiling, reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from hear. Stir in the 1 tablespoon butter and the vanilla. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 6. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, flatten chilled dough ball. Roll from center to edge into a 12" circle. Mark dough with steam slits. Pour warm filling into baked pie shell. Place pastry circle over the filling, pressing pastry edges together to seal. Trim dough.
- 7. Bake in 325 deg oven about 25 minutes or until crust is firm and dry. Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least two hours or up to 24 hours before serving.
- 8. To serve: invert a serving platter on top of pie. Turn pie upside down. Remove pie pan. If desired, top with whipped cream and grated chocolate.
- 10-12 servings.
- Better Homes and Gardens: Holiday Baking 2003 - page 14
The Cookmellian Deltona, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!