Crafty Button Sugar CookiesFrom chasingtwilight 9 years ago
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus a little more for work surface shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 large cage-free egg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- food coloring shopping list
- Sanding sugar for sprinkling shopping list
How to make it
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and then set it aside.
- Mix the butter and granulated sugar into a seperate bowl and mix that (on medium if you have an electric mixer) until the it’s pale and fluffy.
- Add an egg and vanilla. By this time I’m sure you’re arm’s getting tired, but if you have an electric mixer, reduce the speed to low.
- Now add your original flour mixture; and mix them together until no visible difference remains.
- Divide the dough into thirds, and knead one color of food coloring into the first piece and then your second food coloring into another.
- Shape all three pieces into disks. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. (About an hour)
- Preheat your oven to 325!
- Remove one disk from refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature until slightly soft, which takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a piece of lightly floured parchment to a 1/8-inch thickness, dusting with flour as needed.
- Cut out circles with a 1 3/4 inch round cutter, then lightly press with a 1 1/2 inch round cutter.
- Make your button holes with a skewer.
- Reroll scraps, and cut. (If dough becomes too soft because you keep messing up, refrigerate it for 10 minutes and problem solved.)
- Repeat with remaining dough. Space 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and sprinkle them with the sanding sugar.
- Bake! Rotate the cookies about halfway through until the edges are golden (16 to 18 minutes), then let them cool completely. Your cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature for up to one week.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookchasingtwilight Traverse City, MI
The Rating4 people
oh my god! these cookies are so cute? can you tell me where can I buy the cookie cutter?
I give you a 5magali777 in Mexico loved it
Beautiful cookies! They will make great gifts for the holidays! (Will bake them for my family too!)
Thanks for sharing this 5 Fork recipe...
=)pinkpasta in Upstate loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!