Split Green Pea Soup with a ZingFrom debra47 9 years ago
- 2 tablespoons oil shopping list
- 8 ounces chopped bacon shopping list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium sized dried red chili (deseeded or not depending on heat desired), finely chopped shopping list
- 8 ounces green split peas, soaked overnight in water to cover shopping list
- 3 1/2 pints chicken stock shopping list
- 2 small sticks of celery with leaves, finely chopped shopping list
- A bunch of cilantro shopping list
- 2-3 bay leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the bacon, onion and chili.
- Fry for 10 minutes over gentle heat until the onion is soft but not colored.
- Drain the split peas.
- Add them to the pot with the onions, bacon, stock, celery, and bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat.
- Simmer for at least 2 hours or until the peas are very tender.
- If soup becomes too thick, add extra water or stock.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Serve the soup as is or puree in blender.