Watermelon Jam Or PreserveFrom capedread 6 years ago
- watermelon preserve shopping list
- 1 watermelon shopping list
- 25ml (2T) slaked lime or 50ml (4T) bicarbonate of soda per 5 litres of water for 1 melon shopping list
- 1 kg sugar per 1 kg peel shopping list
- 2 liters water per 1 kg sugar shopping list
- 20ml (4t) lemon juice per 1 kg peel shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- 2 pieces bruised fresh ginger per 1kg peel shopping list
How to make it
- Slice melon
- discard soft flesh (pink bit)
- Thinly peel hard green rind and discard.
- Cut remaining peel into squares( white bit)
- prick well on both sides and weigh pieces.
- Soak in lime solution 12 to 18 hours
- Rinse peel well and soak in fresh water for 2 hours.
- Drain and place pieces in boiling water, one piece at a time. Boil uncovered until just tender, test with a matchstick.
- To make syrup, combine sugar, water, lemon juice, salt and ginger
- in a saucepan over low heat and bring to the boil as soon as sugar has dissolved.
- Place the peel in boiling syrup and boil rapidly until pieces are tender and translucent and syrup is thick.
- Pack into hot, dry, sterilised jars, fill jars with syrup and seal immediately.