Galaktoboureko Custard Cake In Phyllo DoughFrom mystic_river1 9 years ago
- 6 cups milk. shopping list
- 1 cup semolina flour. shopping list
- Three and a half tablespoons of cornstarch. shopping list
- Two and a half cups of white sugar. shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt. shopping list
- 6 eggs. shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. shopping list
- 3/4 cup melted butter. shopping list
- 12 sheets filo pastry. shopping list
- 1 cup water. shopping list
How to make it
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the semolina, cornstarch, 1 cup sugar and salt until smooth.
- When the milk comes to the boil, gradually add the semolina mixture stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a full boil.
- Remove from the heat, set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer at high speed. Add half a cup of sugar and whip for about 10 minutes until thick and pale.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold the whipped eggs into the hot semolina mixture.
- Partially cover the pan and set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and place 7 sheets of phyllo in the dish, brushing each one with butter.
- Pour the custard into the pan over the phyllo and cover with the remaining 5 sheets of pastry, again brushing each sheet with butter. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the pre-heated oven, until the top crust is crisp and the custard filling has set.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the remaining cup of sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil.
- When the Galaktoboureko comes out of the oven, spoon the hot sugar syrup over the top, and particularly the edges.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Store in the refrigerator.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating4 people
I am on this one. Saved and filled. Thank you for sharing. *5*
Tilgidhtilgidh in Blackshear loved it
Hello, I have been looking for this version of the recipe for a while now, thanks for posting. Delicious:)mlk_ in Brooklyn loved it