Shirred EggsFrom recipesrule 7 years ago
- 8 slices (thinly sliced works best) ham (prosciutto,pepper, etc)or bacon,or turkey bacon shopping list
- 8 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup or so grated cheese( I like havarti,or swiss for good flavor) shopping list
- some chopped herbs(parsley, dill, etc)or a sprinkle of Mrs Dash shopping list
- 3 Tbsps or so half and half cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Spray 8 ramekins(1/2 cup size) with cooking spray. ( ramekins are like oven proof custard cups)
- Line ramekins with ham
- Sprinkle about a Tbsp of cheese into each cup
- Gently break one egg into a bowl then slide into ramekin so as not to break the yolk. Do this for each one.
- Sprinkle egg with chopped herbs or Mrs Dash
- Top with more cheese
- Original recipe says to add a splash of milk and top with a pat of butter, but I just drizzle about a tsp or so of half and half cream over each.
- Bake at 375 for about 15-18 min.
- ( I find 16 min to be good then let it sit for a couple of minutes. It depends if you like your yolk hard or slightly soft. We like it slightly soft)
- Carefully remove eggs from ramekins and place on or beside some nicely toasted multi-grain bread. For brunch serve with a side salad and a variety of breads and muffins. I've impressed a few friends with it !!
- Usually serve two per person