Upside-Down Pecan-Apple PieFrom mellian 7 years ago
- 6 peeled, sliced golden delicious apples (about 21/2 cups) (use a couple of Granny Smith instead of all Golden Delicious) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature shopping list
- 2/3 cup pecan halves shopping list
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar, divided shopping list
- 1 box refrigerated ready-to-use pie crust for double-crust pie shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss together apple slices and lemon juice in large bowl until
- slices are well coated.
- Spread butter along sides and bottom of 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Arrange pecans in bottom of pie plate in a decorative design. Press
- pecans into butter to hold in place.
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup brown sugar evenly over pecans. Cover the sugar
- and pecans with 1 of the pie crusts, gently pushing the crust over
- the sides and bottom of pie plate, being careful not to move pecans
- and not tear crust.
- Mix remaining 1/3 brown sugar, the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and
- salt in small bowl. Add to apples; toss to mix.
- Mound apple slices in pie crust. Top with second pie crust. Crimp
- edges together; flute. Prick crust in several places with fork to let
- steam escape. Place pie plate on large baking pan or jelly-roll pan.
- Bake in 450 degrees F. oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven
- temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced
- with fork and crust is golden. Let pie rest 10 minutes or until sugar
- stops bubbling around edge.
- Loosen edge of pie from pie plate and invert serving plate over pie; carefully invert both pie plate
- and serving plate together; carefully remove pie plate.
- Serve pie warm with vanilla or butter-pecan ice cream if desired.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Per serving: 485 calories; 23.6 g fat (7.2 g saturated fat; 44
- percent calories from fat); 68 g carbohydrates; 10 mg cholesterol;
- 317 mg sodium; 2.1 g protein; 3.2 g fiber.
- Mel's note: I use much more spices than what is called for in the recipe.
The Cookmellian Deltona, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!