Apple Pie by Grandma OpleFrom mellian 9 years ago
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup white sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- 8 granny smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced (use a mixture of apple types for best flavor and texture. (use 10 apples to be sure you get enough as they cook down in the pie) shopping list
- Mel's addition: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, sugar and lemon juice on apples shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- 2. Peel, core and sliced apples. Add lemon juice to keep apples from turning brown. Mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves, ginger and sugar to taste. I usually use a lot more cinnnamon and less of the other spices. My apples are rich dark brown with spice when they are ready for the pie.
- 2 Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Pour the sugar and butter liquid over the apples. Cover with a top crust.
- 3 Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
- Submitted by: Rebecca Clyma
- Nutrition at a glance
- Servings Per Recipe: 8 amount
- per serving
- Calories 521
- Protein 3.4g
- Total Fat 27g
- Sodium 241mg
- Cholesterol 31mg
- Carbohydrates 69.7g
- Fiber 5.5g
The Cookmellian Deltona, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!