Tofu Lettuce Tomato SandwichFrom senderob 9 years ago
- 1 block extra firm tofu (not silken0 shopping list
- 2 TBSP tamari or soy sauce shopping list
- 1 TBSP vegan oyster or mushroom sauce shopping list
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar (use cider vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar) shopping list
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional - but adds good flavor) shopping list
- a few drops liquid smoke flavoring (find this in the BBQ section) shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 to 2 large tomatoes shopping list
- fresh lettuce shopping list
- 4 to 8 slices of your favorite bread (I prefer a tasty whole grain bread) shopping list
- vegan mayonnaise (I prefer Vegannaisse) shopping list
- basil, oregano, garlic powder - optional shopping list
How to make it
- Drain the block of tofu wrapped in a few paper towels (15 min or so)
- Slice the tofu into 8 slices (I cut across the short dimension so the slices are thicker and shorter)
- Whisk the soy suace, mushroom sauce, yeast, smoke flavoring and black pepper together - add a little water if it's too thick to pour.
- Put the tofu slices into a large ziplock bag or flat baking dish and pour the marinade over the top - distribute the marinade onto all sides of the tofu (I flip the ziplock over a few times and mush the marinade around.
- Let the tofu marinate for at least 15 min (you can freeze it at this point and pull out pieces as you need them anytime - it also makes the texture meatier and chewier)
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with cooking oil.
- Fry the tofu slices until lightly browned - flip and brown the other side (about 3 min per side - turn up the heat and use more oil if you want it to be crispier)
- Meanwhile, toast the bread - use 1 slice per person for an open-faced sandwich (my fav); use 2 slices per person for a two-fister.
- When the bread is toasted, spread some vegan mayo on each slice, add 2 or more slices of tofu, tomato and lettuce. Serve with a nice pickle and some chips.
- Option: I like to sprinkle some basil, oregano and garlic powder on the tomatoes, spray them lightly with cooking oil and fry them gently while frying the tofu. Makes even a marginal tomato taste pretty darn good.