Microwaved BaconFrom thegoldminer 9 years ago
- At least one pound of bacon, I like the thin sliced for the microwave. shopping list
- Lots of newspaper. shopping list
- I have weighed about every brand and they all weigh 3.5-4 ounces when cooked. From Armour to butcher shop bacon, they all are packed with water. 1 pound = 3.5 - 4 ounces of cooked bacon. Another fascinating fact! shopping list
How to make it
- It took a while to figure out how to cook in the microwave.
- My microwave is 1100 watts so your time could be more or less.
- My neighbor's daughter is a biologist and I had her take some cooked bacon
- to the Davis University for testing. I told her the grease was traveling from the bacon to the newspaper. Then couldn't find any trace of ink from the paper. Another theory confirmed.
- First, cut a slit in the package, and then cut the bacon in half. It just works better if they are half pieces.
- Put the package on a section of paper and microwave about 3 minutes.
- Cooking the bacon in the package is important. It starts getting the water out and the bacon won't stick to the paper when cooking.
- Carefully remove the paper and bacon to the counter.
- You should have another section of paper unfolded.
- Using tongs, move each piece to the new paper until the section is filled.
- Fold paper over and continue laying out the strips. It may take another section.
- Put a couple of sections under paper with the bacon. This gives some support when removing cooked bacon.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Now the grease is really coming out. Pick up the outer corners so the grease doesn't spill when removing from the microwave.
- Now you will see all the artery clogging, heart stopping grease. It's in the paper not your veins.
- Again, new paper, new layout, same thing.
- Cook another 5 minutes. Now it should be cooked but limp. For BLT I like it cooked a couple of more minutes so it is crispy. If not crispy, you are tearing the bacon when biting the sandwich.
- If you are not going to eat it on a sandwich, well just cook it until it looks right to your tasting.
- This method is easy, your stove is not splattered with grease, the grease is in the paper and the bacon is less salty. Frying in a pan concentrates the salt in every slice.
- You can cook thin slice or regular using this method. When you're done, you throw away the paper, no pan to clean.
- This is fat free bacon, eat lots.
The Cookthegoldminer Sacramento, CA
The Rating3 people
JJ - Everyone knows you're supposed to cook bacon in the George Forman Grill not the microwave!sunny in Portland loved it
I love this. I don't like frying bacon, I'll admit it. I was relieved to see a cooking show one time where she did something to bacon (maple syrup) and baked it in the oven. Then I had a microwave cookbook and saw on nuking bacon. I thought, Thank Go...morelexluv101 in Lakeland loved it