Red Snapper with Tarragon SauceFrom grizzlybear 9 years ago
- 2 medium carrots, sliced shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, sliced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 lemon slices shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 3 whole black peppers shopping list
- 1 pound fresh red snapper shopping list
- tarragon Sauce (recipe follows) shopping list
- tarragon Sauce: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 tablespoon flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon snipped fresh tarragon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- Dash of salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup reserved broth shopping list
- 1 egg yolk, beaten shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- for the fish
- In a large soup pot combine vegetables, wine, lemon slices, bay leaf, peppers, 8 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer broth for 30 minutes.
- Strain broth through cheesecloth.
- In a skillet bring 1 cup broth to boiling; add snapper fillets. Add more broth to half-cover fish, if needed. Return to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish, reserving poaching broth; keep fish warm. Strain broth, reserving 3/4 cup for sauce.
- Prepare Tarragon Sauce. Spoon some sauce over fish, and pass the remaining sauce.
- For the sauce
- In a saucepan, melt the butter or margarine, stir in flour, tarragon, sugar and salt. Add reserved broth all at once. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Gradually stir half of the hot mixture into the egg yolk. Return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir till bubbly. Reduce heat, then cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice.
- Makes 3/4 cup