Chayote Acorn Squash GratinFrom smurfetta 8 years ago
- 1 chayote squash shopping list
- 1 large acorn squash shopping list
- 5 ounces heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1 1/2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/4 tablespoon dried red chiles, minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1/4 jalapeño, seeded and chopped (optional) shopping list
- 4 green-onion tops, minced shopping list
- 1/8 red (yellow or green) bell pepper, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Boil whole squashes for 20 minutes.
- Peel, halve, seed, and chop cooked squash.
- One at a time, whisk cream, garlic, chiles, cayenne, nutmeg, and garlic salt into eggs.
- Layer buttered 9-by-12-inch baking dish with half the acorn squash, top with chayote squash, then add remaining acorn squash. Sprinkle jalapeño, onions, and bell peppers on each layer.
- Pour egg mixture over squash, and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until custard sets.