Anise Hard CandiesFrom smurfetta 9 years ago
How to make it
- Butter an 8 inch square baking pan with 1 1/2 tsp. butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine water, corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve any sugar crystals.
- Uncover, cook over medium high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300º (hard crack stage).
- Hard Crack: The hard-crack stage is the highest temperature you are likely to see specified in a candy recipe. At these temperatures, there is almost no water left in the syrup. Syrup dropped into ice water separates into hard, brittle threads that break when bent.
- The time varys with the cooking temp and size of the pot you are using.
- Remove from heat, stir in extract and food coloring (keep face away from mixture as odor is very strong).
- Pour into prepared pan. Using a sharp knife, score into 3/4 inch squares.
- Cool. Separate into squares, using a sharp knife if necessary.
- Place powdered sugar in a baking pan, add candy and roll till coated. Brush off excess sugar with a pastry brush.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Makes about 1 lb. (8 dozen)
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cooksmurfetta Huntsville, AL
- Not added to any groups yet!