Tomato GravyFrom singasongof6pans 6 years ago
- 2 Tbsp margarine or olive oil shopping list
- 2 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar or honey shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper, scant shopping list
- 15 oz can tomatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk, evaporated milk or powdered milk shopping list
- a few dashes of louisiana hot sauce, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the margarine or oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Stir in the flour with a whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add the sweetener, salt and pepper, stir well then add the tomatoes.
- Mash the tomatoes with a fork to get them as small and smooth as you can but don't worry too much about it as lumpy tomato gravy is a tasty thing of beauty.
- Add the milk gradually as the conglomeration in the skillet starts to thicken.
- Stir well, add the Louisiana hot sauce if you want some heat to the gravy, let it come to a boil then turn off the heat and serve over potatoes, rice, bread, meat loaf, hamburger steak, etc.
- Denise's note - If you have problems with the gravy curdling, try making a paste from the fat and flour the next go 'round. Personally, we don't care if it's a little curdled or not. It tastes great, regardless!
The Cooksingasongof6pans Longview, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!