Savory BiscuitsFrom sunny 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour - whole wheat will work shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil - dried will work shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar -- if desired shopping list
- 3 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk (about) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 450º. Cut shortening into remaining ingredients except milk in medium bowl with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball. (Too much milk will make dough sticky; not enough will make biscuits dry.)
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 20 to 25 times.
- Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides,
- touching for soft sides.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.