Homestyle Chicken Pot PieFrom way2nrml 9 years ago
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine, divided shopping list
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen mixed vegetables, such as potatoes, peas, and carrots, thawed and drained shopping list
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted shopping list
- 1/3 C. dry white wine or milk shopping list
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of 15-oz. package), at room temp. shopping list
- Note: I use full fat cream of chicken soup and whole milk with this recipe. I have tried it other ways to make it a little more figure friendly, but the sauce doesn't set up as well when you use other combinations. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Melt 1 Tb. butter in medium broilerproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with salt, thyme, and pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in vegetables, soup and milk; simmer for 5 minutes.
- While soup mixture is simmering, unwrap pie crust. Using small cookie cutters (or a table knife and your own skill) make 4 decorative cut-outs from pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Remove chicken mixture from heat; top with pie crust. Melt remaining butter and brush pie crust with 2 tsp. of butter. Arrange cut-outs attractively (their words, not mine) over crust, and brush cut-outs with remaining butter to make them stick. Bake 12 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil; broil 4-5 inches from heat source for 2 minutes or until crust is golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbly. *** Do Not walk away from the kitchen at this point or your pie crust will burn.
- Note: Let the pot pie rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the mixture to set and make for easier serving.