Basic Spicy Black BeansFrom murph 7 years ago
- black beans - 2 cups shopping list
- Epazote, dried - 1 Tbsp. shopping list
- onion, chopped, 1 shopping list
- oregano, dried, 1/2 tsp. shopping list
- salt, tsp. shopping list
- tomatoes, diced, fresh or canned, 1-2 cups shopping list
- cilantro, fresh, 1/4 cup shopping list
- Chipotles in adobo sauce, minced - Deborah calls for "1 tsp"; we use about 1/3 cup shopping list
- Garnish: chopped jalepenos; chopped cilanto; feta, queso fresco, or other mild cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse black beans. Check for small stones.
- Cover with 6 cups water, boil hard for 10 minutes, skimming off foam
- Add onion, epazote, oregano, turn down heat and partially cover
- Simmer 45 minutes - beans should be fairly tender
- Add salt
- Simmer 15-30 minutes more, until beans are tender
- Add tomato, chipotle, cilantro, lower heat
- Simmer 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary. Beans should be moving towards mushy when they're done.
The Cookmurph Ypsilanti, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!