Bombay Fish steamed in banana leavesFrom frantic 7 years ago
- herb SAUCE shopping list
- 3 large garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 small fresh serrano chilies shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut shopping list
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (coriander) sprigs shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste shopping list
- fish shopping list
- 6 untreated fresh or thawed frozen banana leaves or large swiss chard leaves shopping list
- six 5 oz pieces salmon or haddock fillet with skin on shopping list
How to make it
- Mince garlic and wearing gloves mince serrano chilies.
- In a blender, puree all sauce ingredients until smooth
- If using banana leaves, cut away ribs and in a large bowl of hot water soften leaves for 1 minute to keep them from splitting.
- Cut six 8-inch (20cm) squares from leaves.
- On a work surface arrange 1 leaf square and pat dry
- Spread 1 teaspoon of herb sauce down the middle of the square, equal to the length of the fish.
- Arrange fish, skin side down on top of sauce
- Spread 1 tablespoon of sauce over fish
- Fold top, bottom and side pieces of leaf over fish to form an envelope style package.
- Secure with bamboo skewers if necessary
- Load all packets into a bamboo steamer or onto the barbecue rack
- For steaming, over boiling water until fish is just cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- If barbecuing, keep moist and it will take a lot less time to cook, about 4 minutes.
The Cookfrantic Cleve, AU
- Not added to any groups yet!