Ground Beef Stuffed Zucchini BakeFrom lor 8 years ago
- 4 - 6 medium sized zucchini's, about 32 ounces or so shopping list
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef or you can use ground chicken, turkey, pork or a combination of beef, veal and pork shopping list
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- a dash of cayenne pepper or Tobasco sauce shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced, 2-1/2 ounces or about 1/2 cup shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 2-3 large fresh mushrooms, diced or 1/2 cup, diced or about 3 ounces shopping list
- 1/2 tin diced tomatoes, drained on paper towel shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4" of flesh intact.
- Discard pulp.
- You can use a teaspoon to scrape out the pulp and seeds, then once most of the pulp has been removed, use the spoon to scrape out any remaining seeds.
- Place zucchini shells on a greased, foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Saute the meat, garlic, cayenne or Tobasco sauce, onion, green bell pepper and mushrooms, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain any fat.
- Add diced tomatoes and gently fold.
- Fill zucchini with mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350º 30-35 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Uncover, top with cheese and bake to melt cheese, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings
- Per Serving: 143 Calories
- I think I'd probably use another type of cheese next time. The parmesan doesn't melt enough. Cheddar, mozzarella, Tex Mex or even Swiss cheese might be nice. If you're counting calories, low fat or skim milk cheese can also be used. This recipe is great served as a side dish with any meal. It is also nice served with a gravy.