Crab and Corn ChowderFrom tsehnert 6 years ago
- 4 ounces meaty slab bacon, cut into small dice shopping list
- 1 Tbls unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 cup diced onion shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp sweet paprika shopping list
- 2 Tbls all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half and half shopping list
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels shopping list
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 shallot, finely diced shopping list
- 12 ounces lump crab meat shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place bacon in a large pot over low heat. Cook, stirring, to render the fat, 5-7 minutes. Add the butter to the pot and when it melts, add the onion and cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes, add shallot cook 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile, combine the broth, bay leaves, and paprika in a small pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes to give the broth a rich flavor. Keep hot.
- Add the four to the bacon and onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the hot broth, the potatoes, and the thyme to the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cream or half and half, corn, scallions and crab and cook until the scallions are soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaves, and add the parsley. Heat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.