Chocolate Cake Squares with Eggnog SauceFrom dragonflylady13 6 years ago
- For Cake: shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* shopping list
- 3/4 cup cocoa shopping list
- 3/4 cup boiling water shopping list
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- eggnog Sauce (recipe follows) shopping list
- *To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup. shopping list
- eggnog Sauce: shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cold water shopping list
- 1-1/3 cups milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 egg yolks, beaten shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon each brandy and vanilla extracts shopping list
- Several dashes ground nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13×9×2-inch baking pan.
- 2. Stir baking soda into buttermilk in medium bowl; set aside. Stir together cocoa and water until smooth; set aside.
- 3. Beat butter, shortening and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla and salt; beat well. Add buttermilk mixture alternately with flour to butter mixture, beating until blended. Add cocoa mixture; blend thoroughly. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Serve with Eggnog Sauce.
- Eggnog Sauce:
- Stir cornstarch and water in saucepan until smooth. Add milk, sugar and egg yolks. Beat with whisk until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in extracts. Cool completely. Sprinkle nutmeg over top. Cover; refrigerate leftover sauce.
The Cookdragonflylady13 Wichita, KS
- Not added to any groups yet!