Brined Roast TurkeyFrom syrus 7 years ago
- 1 20 lb turkey shopping list
- 1 gallon water, hot not boiling shopping list
- 1 bag of ice shopping list
- 2 qt apple cider shopping list
- 2 qt vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 lb kosher salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns shopping list
- 2 tbsp whole allspice shopping list
- 1 head of garlic, cut horizontally shopping list
- 4 bay leaves shopping list
- 3 sprigs rosemary shopping list
- 3 sprigs thyme shopping list
- 2 sprigs sage shopping list
- peel of one orange shopping list
- 1 orange, quartered shopping list
- 1 onion chopped rough shopping list
- 1 stalk celery chopped rough shopping list
- 1 carrot chopped rough shopping list
How to make it
- Pour water and salt into cooler and mix until salt is dissolved.
- Add bag of ice and mix until cooled.
- Add vegetable broth, apple cider, pepper, allspice, garlic, bay leaves, 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 sprigs thyme, 1 sprig sage, and orange peel.
- Mix to combine and add turkey.
- Turkey should be completely submerged. If submerged turn halfway through brining, if not turn every 2 hours.
- Turkey should brine for up to 24 hours, 5 minimum.
- If you live in a cold region keep the cooler outside or on a cold porch. It will not reach an unsafe temperature. If not be sure to monitor it, you may need to add ice. Brine needs to stay below 41 degrees.
- When brining is complete rinse the turkey thoroughly.
- Place in roasting pan and stuff with remaining herbs, onion, carrot, celery, and orange.
- Place in a 500 degree oven for up about 15 minutes. This will achieve an oven sear.
- Cover turkey will double layered foil.
- Drop the oven temp to 350 and roast for up to 4 hours depending on oven.
- Monitor temperature in thickest part of breast. When temp reaches 160 remove from oven and let rest covered for 15 minutes.
- Carve and serve.
The Cooksyrus Boston, MA
- Not added to any groups yet!