Lemon-Ginger Chicken Soup with CilantroFrom abbyk 8 years ago
- Small amount of raw chicken breast (about 1/2 cup in volume) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup white wine (or, 2 cups broth) shopping list
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, to taste, roughly crushed shopping list
- About 1 T ginger, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 dried hot pepper, crumbled, or other hot pepper, chopped shopping list
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts shopping list
- 1 head baby bok choy, chopped white and green parts shopping list
- About 1/3 cup sprouts -- I like mung bean sprouts, the big ones shopping list
- 3 T cilantro, minced shopping list
- 1/2 lemon (zest and juice) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the broth, wine or sherry, chicken, garlic, ginger and hot pepper in a pot. (Lemongrass would probably be excellent here, too.)
- Bring to a boil for a few minutes to cook away some of the alcohol (skip the “for a few minutes” if you aren’t adding wine), then turn down and simmer on medium-low till chicken’s done.
- At this point, strain everything to remove some of the chicken fat. This results in a nice, clear, but still flavorful and rich broth.
- Shred the chicken roughly with a fork, then return it and the strained broth to the pot.
- Add the sprouts and the whites of the bok choy and scallions.
- Cook until those are soft, then add all the green stuff: bok choy leaves, scallion greens, and cilantro.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, turn off the heat, and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookabbyk Brooklyn, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!