Louisiana Chicken GumboFrom cheftom 6 years ago
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 3 lb chicken cut into 8 pieces shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup Chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup Chopped celery shopping list
- 1 cup Chopped green onion shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic; mashed shopping list
- 1 quart chicken broth shopping list
- 2 cup canned whole tomatoes in juice; undrained, crushed shopping list
- 1 Bay leaf shopping list
- 1 tsp TABASCO pepper sauce shopping list
- 1 10 oz package frozen; whole okra shopping list
- 3 cup Cooked rice; divided shopping list
How to make it
- Combine flour and salt in plastic or paper bag; dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture to coat.
- In large heavy Dutch oven or saucepot, heat oil; brown chicken on all sides, remove and reserve. Add onion, celery, onion and garlic; saut‚ 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Return chicken to pot. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes in juice, bay leaf and Tabasco pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes. Add okra; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Serve each portion in bowl topped with 1/2 cup cooked rice.