Traditional Dulce De Leche -- CajetaFrom sassinate 7 years ago
- 4 cups (1 liter) whole goat's milk (cow's milk will also work and is traditional in some countries, like Cuba) shopping list
- 2 cup (500mL) fine granulated white sugar shopping list
- 1 vanilla bean, split in two OR 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) -- this is needed for a complete browning-- it lowers the pH and prevents milk proteins from coagulating (bunching up). The browning is not caramelization -- it is a Maillard reaction which requires the addition of a base. If you do not add baking soda the sauce will still thicken and taste wonderful, but the full potential of the sauce will be lost. shopping list
How to make it
- You can make this on the stovetop OR in the slow cooker
- ------------STOVE TOP METHOD------------
- Scald milk in a sauce pan
- Add all other ingredients
- cook on medium/low until the solution is thick and caramel in colour -- about 1 hour.
- When finished, put in wide-mouthed jars or other sealed container and store in the fridge until use
- ------------SLOW COOK METHOD----------
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker
- Cook UNCOVERED! on high about 10 hours. Stir and scrape the sides in the last few hours
- When finished, put in wide-mouthed jars or other sealed container and store in the fridge until use.
The Cooksassinate Kitchener, CA
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!