Homemade Piecrust From ScratchFrom borius 6 years ago
How to make it
- Combine the flour and salt in a food processor.
- Add the shortening; pulse the machine on and off until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With the machine running, trickle in 4 tablespoons of ice water through the feed tube, until the dough just gathers together. (If the dough seems dry, add up to 1 tablespoon more of ice water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time.)
- Divide the dough in half, forming each half into a thick disk. Wrap each disk in plastic; refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill.
- Remove half the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured work surface or between 2 sheets of wax paper to form a circle about 1/8-inch thick and 2 inches larger than the pie plate. (Work quickly, as the dough can become sticky.)
- With the help of a spatula, gently transfer the dough to a pie plate, pressing it lightly into the plate to fit. If the dough should tear, just press it together gently.
- Trim the dough, leaving a 1-inch overhang. If making a single-crust pie, turn the edge under and flute it.
- Repeat for a top crust or for another bottom crust. The circle for a top crust should be 9 inches for an 8-inch pie and 10 inches for a 9-inch pie.
- Follow the individual pie recipes for filling and baking.
- Makes enough for one 8- or 9-inch double-crust pie, or two single crust pies.
- Save any scraps of this dough to create a decorative design for the top of the pie
The Cookborius Klamath Falls, OR
The Rating3 people
I always make pie crusts from scratch, and this is a fabulous recipe! Have used it many times, and always use Crisco. :) Great post!rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
for an easy recipe with so few ingredients.Wishing you and your family happiness and joy over the HOLIDAYS
mumtazmumtazcatering in Gauteng loved it
Hi Mark made your pie crust on Tuesday, as well as yesterday it was soooooo good and sooooooooo easy
if i could rate it again i would give it a "10"
have a blessed day
Mumtazmumtazcatering in Gauteng loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!