BaklavaFrom squirrel_nut 6 years ago
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cloves shopping list
- 1/2 tsp All spice shopping list
- 1 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1 lb pecan/Walnut combination (approx 1/2lb each) shopping list
- 3 sticks butter shopping list
- 1 lb phyllo dough shopping list
- syrup Sauce: shopping list
- 2/3 cup honey (local is best) shopping list
- 1/3 cup orange juice shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp Mexican vanilla (or a cap of Adams extract) shopping list
- 1 tsp apple pie spice shopping list
How to make it
- Defrost Phyllo dough for 30 min if frozen.
- put nuts, sugar and spices in a food processor until roughly ground.
- melt butter
- coat a 13x9x2 baking dish with some of the melted butter.
- cut Phyllo sheets to fit the baking dish. keep Phyllo covered on the top and bottom of the stack with moist kitchen towels. it will dry out quickly.
- brush EACH layer of Phyllo with butter (important!)
- start with 6 layers of Phyllo at the bottom of the dish to form a solid base layer.
- grab a handfull of the mixture and spread across the Phyllo.
- add 2 more layers of dough, then some mix on top. repeat until the mix is all gone.
- after the last layer of mix, place 4-6 more sheets of Phyllo on top for a cap.
- using a sharp knife, cut the Baklava into 3in squares. then cut again diagonally to form triangles.
- bake uncovered at 350deg for approx 40 minutes. check after 30min. if the top is turning crunchy brown, tent with aluminum foil.
- to make the sauce, combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat until the honey dissolves and the sauce slightly thickens - approx 10 min.
- pour the sauce over the hot Baklava.
- sit aside at room temp and allow to cool and set.
The Cooksquirrel_nut Austin, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!