Swedish Limpa BreadFrom lillyann 5 years ago
- 2 cups orange juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark molasses shopping list
- 2 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds shopping list
- 2 teaspoons anise seed shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 2 cups cold water shopping list
- 3 tablespoons yeast shopping list
- 4 cups rye flour (medium) shopping list
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
How to make it
- Combine first six ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Let cool some, then add the salt and cold water.
- Test the temperature, then add the yeast.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the rye flour and as much white flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- Knead well.
- The bread dough will be sticky.
- Let rise until double.
- Shape into 4 loaves (Traditionally in round loaves, but loaf pans work also) and let rise again until double.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- Note: This is an authentic Swedish limpa baked in the old world tradition with brown sugar and molasses. Limpa bread has a dense texture and a sweet flavor with a hint of anise and orange. Try using Limpa bread for a turkey sandwich or toast it with orange marmalade.
People Who Like This Dish 12
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- winny Denver, CO
- badraven Greenwood, AR
- hlbronwyn Kansas City, KS
- grillwalker On The Beach So Cal HB, CA
- anniec1956 Exeland, WI
- jakartainflames Jakarta, Indonesia
- swafaa Brampton, CA
- tooloosetoo La Grange, IL
- silentwriter Middleburg, PA
- Plus 2 othersFrom around the world!