Savory Sausage Apple StrataFrom tuilelaith 9 years ago
- 6 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg shopping list
- 8-ounce loaf italian peasant bread, cut into 1 inch thick slices shopping list
- 3 cups fully cooked, finely chopped spicy italian sausage shopping list
- 3 crisp, sweet apples, cored and sliced into very thin rounds shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups grated Grana Padano cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Lightly butter a 9 inch by 9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and nutmeg. Soak each slice of bread in the custard until fully saturated. Arrange a thirl of the slices in the prepared baking dish.
- Top the bread with half of the sausage, half of the apples and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Layer another third of the bread over the fillings, add other half of teh sausage, and the apple. Plus 1 more cup of the chese.
- Top with the last third of the soaked bread.
- Pour any remaining custard over the top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 325 degrees f. Bake uncovered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- -NOTE: I see alot of play in this like bacon instead of sausage, different breads and cheeses. I like the apples so I would keep those!!!!