Empanada PastryFrom geckofiend 8 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or two forks.
- The mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal.
- Add the water, one tablespoon at a time, and lightly toss with a fork to incorporate it.
- Add only enough water for the dough to hold together and be gathered into a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Bring the dough back to room temperature before rolling.
- To make the crust, gently roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/4 inch and use a cutter to cut circles to the desired diameter.
- Place a couple of spoonfuls of the filling off-center on each circle.
- Brush the edges with water, fold in half and seal securely using either your finger or a fork.
- Brush the empanadas with the egg glaze, place on a lightly oiled baking pan, and bake them for 10 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove them from the pan and cool them on a rack before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookgeckofiend Columbus, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!