Polish Wedding Cake - Kolacz WeselnyFrom lor 8 years ago
- 2 (1/4 oz) pkg., active dry yeast (2 Tbsps.) shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup warm water shopping list
- 1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, room temperature shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 pint warm milk (2 cups) shopping list
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- a pinch of salt shopping list
- 4 cups 2% milk shopping list
- 2 pounds / 4cups dry cottage cheese or farmer's old-fashioned white cheese shopping list
- 4 egg yolks shopping list
- 2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla sugar (or vanilla plus sugar) shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare Cheese Filling:
- With a grinder or food processor, process cheese.
- Do not puree or over process.
- Place egg yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat until pale and creamy, at least 10 minutes. Add ground cheese, a little at a time, while beating.
- Beat until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 Tbsp. sugar in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Place 1 cup sugar, butter or margarine and eggs in large bowl.
- Beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add yeast mixture, 1 pint milk, 2 cups flour and salt.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Clean and grease bowl.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat all sides.
- Cover with a clean damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from any drafts, until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease side and bottom of a 10 inch spring form pan.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Using your hands, gently press 1/3 of dough evenly over bottom and side of pan.
- Evenly spread cheese filling over dough lined pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out another 1/3 of dough to a 10 inch circle.
- Place over cheese filling.
- Gently pat with your hands.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush milk over top of dough.
- Cut remaining 1/3 dough in 4 even pieces.
- Shape 3 pieces into long ropes.
- Braid ropes; apply to outer edge of cake.
- Using remaining dough, cut desired figures with various cutters or form shapes with your hands.
- Arrange figures on top of dough as desired.
- Lightly brush with milk.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes on a rack.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Makes 1 (10 inch) cake.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating1 people
This reminds me of cheesecake I had while in Germany, I was told it was from an old recipe and the lady was from Poland... wonder if it is the same.. so different and very good!shirleyoma in Cove loved it