Easy Meringue CookiesFrom tuilelaith 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 250°. Arrange the oven racks so one is in the upper third and the other is in the bottom third of the oven.
- Put sugars (or use just granulated sugar) in food processor and process for about 60 seconds.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can skip this step. It just helps make the sugar a little finer and it will dissolve more quickly.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed of electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar; continue beating until the egg whites hold soft peaks. Gradually beat in both sugars and continue to beat until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in vanilla extract. The meringue should be very smooth and have no sugar grittiness.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. A tiny dot of meringue under the parchment paper at each corner will keep it from moving while you work.
- Spoon small mounds of meringue on the parchment paper. Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar over each mound.
- Bake for 1 hour, rotating the baking sheets after 30 minutes. Take a meringue out to test. Break in half; it should be dry in the center. Turn the oven off and leave the door partially open. Leave meringues in the oven for 1 hour longer.
- Makes 36 to 48 meringue cookies.