Current-glazed Game HensFrom lillyann 7 years ago
- 3 Cornish hens shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 jar (10-12-oz.) red currant jelly or jam (Knott's Berry Farm*) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt-free chicken seasoning (McCormick*) shopping list
- Current Stuffing (optional) shopping list
- 1 box (6-oz.) traditional sage stuffing mix (Stove Top*) shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (toasted if desired) shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried currants (Sun-Maid*) shopping list
How to make it
- To broil hens first* preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet or broiler pan with aluminum foil; set aside. Cut backbones from game hens with kitchen shears. Cut hens in half through breastbones.
- Place hens, skin side up, on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until skin is golden and begins to crisp
- In a small saucepan, melt jelly over medium-low heat. Stir in chicken seasoning; divide mixture in half. Cover and chill one portion. Brush the remaining half of the melted jelly mixture onto game hens. Arrange hens, skin side up in a 4 1/2 or 5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours if hens were broiled and 5 1/2 to 6 hours if they were NOT.
- Prepare Current Stuffing (optional). Transfer hens to a serving platter. Reheat the reserved chilled jelly mixture over medium-low heat until melted; brush over game hens. Serve with Currant stuffing (optional)
- *** Currant Stuffing: Prepare 1 box of stuffing mix according to package directions. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped pecans and 1 cup dried currants.